Sunday, March 11, 2012

RIP Moebius

Noticed an obit for some French comics artist named Jean Giraud yesterday, and didn't leap to post anything here because, in addition to being preoccupied with an essay, I didn't recognize the name (blush). Call him Moebius, though, and you've named one of the most distinctive artists of the comic books of my youth. ...I mean, I was always a bit of a Richard Corben fan, to tell the truth, because he drew lots of lush nude females, and I was 12 at the time of my greatest enthusiasm for Heavy Metal, but there's no question as to whom the more evolved style belonged, and if I were going to revisit backissues (something I'll probably get to between ages 63 and 70, at this rate), it would be Moebius strips I would look at first. There are lots of sites devoted to him - some of his drawings for the unmade Jodorwsky Dune can be glimpsed here. RIP, Moebius.

No comments: