Wednesday, March 07, 2012

The Diagram Prize for improbable book titles


Being wiped out means that I'm particularly susceptible to finding things funny, so I was more than receptive when I stumbled across an anthology of Diagram Prize winners, entitled How to Avoid Huge Ships. Every year, the Diagram Prize is given to the most improbably titled book (it has to be a real book). Flipping through this delightful little tome I found myself laughing uncontrollably, first on campus and then on the bus; it's really the sort of book that you'd best not open on a full bladder. In case anyone else out there feels the need of some laughter, here is a list of past Diagram Prize winners (favourites include The Theory of Lengthwise Rolling, Oral Sadism and the Vegetarian Personality, and, of course Reusing Old Graves), and this year's shortlist (my vote goes to Cooking with Poo).

No comments: