Friday, November 04, 2011

Don't Get Your Hopes Up, but...

I can't sleep. I spent most of the day writing for this UBC Film Studies course I'm taking - roughly some seventeen pages of text, far in excess of what was asked of me. My brain is still buzzing, such that, despite my exhaustion, I can't sleep. I've decided to embrace this unwelcome awakeness and exhaust myself further in the hopes that the next time I lie down, my mind will be quieter.

What to do, tho', in this state? I've already masturbated, bathed, eaten, and done some recreational reading this evening. I also just watched an episode of Pee-Wee's Playhouse, which was delightful but far too stimulating for me to dare a second (who knew that Lawrence Fishburne appeared in that show?). With nothing else compelling on hand to occupy myself, I've been poking about the net - reading Mack's latest News For Youse on the Straight website, checking the obits (GWAR's guitarist died, and I wouldn't expect their November 7th Commodore show to go ahead). 

...but I've surfed the sites I meant to surf, and I'm still awake, so, prior to heading over to the land of Free Cell, I thought I'd kill a few minutes with a blogpost. Don't get your hopes up - I'm still considering this blog done. Consider this the muscle spasm of a corpse, a postmortem bit of flatulence... Still, anyone who has been following this blog - people harder up for entertainment even than myself - might want to waste a few minutes on this review I wrote of a Funky Winkerbeans show for the Straight.

I gather their Warbringer show on Friday is going to kick ass.

Oh, by the way, HMV's Vancouver megastore appears to be heading towards closure. No public announcement has been made and the time frame is up in the air, but staff have confirmed this, and all stock, I believe, has been marked down by 10% - a discount which I presume will deepen in the next month or so. It's kind of amusing to me - after two years of not shopping there (having been offended by the attitude of one of the staff), I only just returned last week (since the Videomatica Sale Store, in transition to the back of Zulu Records, isn't up and running yet, and there's not really anywhere else in town to shop for DVDs). Looks like I'm just in time to plunder the sale stock.

Okay, time for a game of Free Cell.

3 comments:

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

No one I know is home tonight Al. Or maybe they all ahave call display. You and your dead fucking blog is all I have got. That after I watched a woman breathe her last at OccVan tonight. Good thing I am too stubborn, or perhaps just too drunk, to believe this is Dope City's 99% Altamont.

zed said...

Welcome back,
Your dreams were your ticket out.

Welcome back,
To that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Here where we need ya (Here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've hot him on the spot, welcome back,
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.

zed said...

Welcome back,
Your dreams were your ticket out.

Welcome back,
To that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Here where we need ya (Here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've hot him on the spot, welcome back,
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.