Thursday, December 04, 2014

John Reischman and the Jaybirds: roots music the right way

I genuinely like folk music, but I don't go to see it performed live very often, and there's a whole list of folky types that I keep meaning to see who I never get around to. Every time John Prine or Loudon Wainwright III comes through town, I think, "this will be the year!" It hasn't happened yet. But if I get over the cold I'm presently muddling through (and I can get tickets) I think I'm going to go see John Reischman and the Jaybirds at the St. James Community Hall (3214 W. 10th) tomorrow night. Truth is, I have never heard them before today, but I saw the listing on Livevan.com, looked'em up on Youtube, and went HELL YES, pretty much instantly: this is true roots music, and Reischman is quite the mandolin player. Please don't be sold out! My girlfriend will enjoy this music too!

No comments: