Saturday, March 29, 2008

Still Sick, Watching Movies

Goddamn. Still have a sore throat, still getting mild but troubling migraine pain, and, weirdly, I constantly have to urinate. Stayed home from work yesterday, and am taking it easy as hell, catching up on movies I've been curious about (managed to dig up a few things I hadn't seen at a nearby rentals shop). Over the last two days I've watched: V for Vendetta, which, for all its subversive intent, falls curiously flat; Paul Schrader's Exorcist prequel, Dominion, which Schrader should be embarrassed about; The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, which tries too hard to flatter and win the audience's sympathy and respect; A Boy and His Dog, which works so well at times that the somewhat bungled second half is rather disappointing; and finally, Fritz Lang's The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, which merits a much more respectful attitude than the above - but which, I confess, I liked far less than M., which remains my favourite of his films. Today the possibilities include Ralph Bakshi's Fritz the Cat, Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke, Mario Bava's Rabid Dogs, and the Canadian film Goin' Down the Road. I really doubt I will get around to Peter Watkins' The Freethinker, though I bought it at Videomatica the other week.

And that's about all I'm going to write, because the right side of my head is starting to hurt again.

Oh: funny Engrish.

No comments: