Sunday, October 17, 2021

Bad (?) news: radiation therapy to come

So my oncologist found, it turns out, two incidents of cancer on my tongue, not touching each other. 

It is indeed, by the by, cancer. The biopsy was done post-surgery; there was no question surgery was necessary, whether what I had was dysplasia or cancer, so no need for a biopsy beforehand, which meant there was some doubt before the operation actually took place what I was being treated for... but it turns out it was exactly what I had in 2017: squamous cell cancer. 

Those squamous cells, man ("things I have in common with Christopher Hitchens" - it's a very short list).

That there were TWO sites on my tongue, unconnected, means I've now had cancer in three places on my tongue, and will likely have further recurrences; so radiation treatment is recommended. Gotta whip my tongue cells into compliance or something, to keep them for going rogue again in the future. This will mean taking more time off work (which is a mixed blessing), and in terms of side-effects, I gather, will feel like I have a sunburn inside of my mouth. Unclear when it commences or how long it will last, but the cancer agency is being contacted.

"It's not like I can just keep whittling away at your tongue," my oncologist quipped at one point. 

Indeed. Meantime, I've now weaned off my strongest painkiller and am getting by managing my pain a codeine at a time (three or four pills spread out over a day). If I don't, then when I go to speak or swallow, the pain in my ear is far worse than I want it to be... but I can swallow whatever I need to (soft food is still best), and speech is okay, though I'm a bit sore at the moment (pain med hasn't hit yet). 

Nothing much else to report. Erika and I are watching, and loving, Better Call Saul, and I'm really pleased with the Severin blu-ray release of Blood for Dracula, which has great extras (Udo Kier bums a smoke mid-way through his interview, knowing full well that it will be value-added; I mean, who, on an extra interview, ever bums a smoke? Udo is the man). 

No comments: