Thursday, October 05, 2006

Noam Chomsky in the Straight (and in Vancouver, awhile ago)


You know, I don't really have anything much to say about Noam Chomsky at the moment, but I really liked the article in the Straight this week, so cheers to Brian Lynch. Plus I wanted the excuse to use this photo, which I took at a rally in Vancouver when Chomsky spoke here in March of 2004, after a demonstration against the Iraq war. He made some points that resonate off Lynch's article -- about how, for instance, the Vietnam war had been going on for years -- with American involvement -- before the American public mobilized against it, while conversely people were protesting America's wars in Afghanistan and Iraq before they began. Something he saw as a cause for hope.

Hey, any of y'all seen The Trial of the Catonsville Nine, based on the play by Daniel Berrigan? Watched it this morning. It's a pretty intense experience; I recommend it. I quite like Dar Williams song about Berrigan, too, "I had no Right," though I don't much like the look of her website (Dar, I really would rather NOT see your thighs; leave it to Liz Phair, okay?).

No comments: