My first Metal Cruise last night. A fun experience! Wrote an advance article about it here, focusing on Egregore, the middle band of the night, who will soon be playing the Covenant festival at the Rickshaw.
There are differences in style, demeanour and attitude from one subculture to the next, but not all of them were significant. In terms of fashion, there was everything from fishnet stockings with pentagrams sewn into them to metal-studded spiky dog collars to both homemade and storebought vests and jackets with dozens, maybe even hundreds of band names represented in some manner or other. A friend of Sonny's did a "you're never gonna guess where I got this" with me when I complimented his shirt, which was one such multi-band extravaganza: turns out he was given it free by a guy at a show when he remarked in passing, "Nice shirt". The person wearing it stopped and said, "You like it, I'll give it to you, my girlfriend can't stand it." The guy then took the shirt off his back and handed it over!
Indeed, I would not have guessed that.
The T-shirts ranged from newly-minted AC/DC shirts to a somewhat puzzling Lynyrd Skynyrd shirt to many Christophe Szpajdel-style black metal designs, mostly unreadable to me. There were plenty of familiar names represented, though: Sepultura, Cannibal Corpse, Bolt Thrower, System of a Down; almost everyone had a metal shirt on, making me regret that I hadn't taken the time to dig out my Auroch t-shirt. (I actually reviewed their debut in the Straight back in 2012).
There was a sole girl sporting punk patches, including one for Clit .45, who I looked up later; I was disappointed to learn were not all women, as well as a t-shirt for Cheap Sex (also unknown to me). She definitely stood out as being someone I might have seen once at Funkys.
It is hard to put one's finger on exactly where the boundaries between fashion choices lie, but I don't think many women on the punk scene would sport a hat as confrontational as one that read Black Out With Your Rack Out, for example. Eek!
Another significant difference: there was a guy -- dude maybe a couple years older than I am, with long grey hair and a Bat Child t-shirt, and pretty drunk -- who had a very unusual moshing style, which was essentially careening backwards around the pit, colliding into people, trusting that they would break his fall or propel him forward. It was kinda like that "I trust you" bonding exercise you see in team-building contexts, where you fall backwards into people's arms, except he was falling backwards into whatever unexpecting part of their body was in his path, and doing it multiple times per minute, with the aim not of being caught but of being bounced back forward so he could continue (and not crack his head on the deck). It was clear from the odd grimace he received that not everyone wanted to play that game, but most people still just smiled indulgently and pushed him back into the pit, and a couple of other people actively moshed theatrically back into him. He also clapped along to some songs, slightly outa synch with the band: what can ya do about a guy like that?
I think at a punk show the guy's behaviour would have drawn commentary from the others, some stiff-necked "cool it" or worse, but if that happened last night, I did not see it. You could see that the guy was having the time of his life. So no one played cop; and if he ever actually fell on his ass, it didn't happen while I was looking.
I got to dance right up front for Space Queen, though, which, as Mayo noted in the Straight piece, was kind of the high point of the show, as we were departing Vancouver by daylight and spirits were highest. Shot some video, though didn't get the name of the track and can't find it on their bandcamp. They're more polished and confident since I first saw them a couple of years ago at Green Auto and the bassist now does a better job of keeping her parts in her clothes (she was a bit tumbly-outy that first gig!). They ended their set with a folky tune involving pirates that had a sea-shanty-like chorus, which they dedicated to Mayo, who was right up front in an Anciients shirt; he'd recently celebrated his birthday.
At one point later on, negotiating the various narrow passages around the ship, I had to pass between two of the members of the band, and quipped, "Out of the way, you space queens", reflecting on an alternate meaning of their name, but as they told me in that Straight piece, I believe, they're actually named for a strain of weed.
As the sun started to set, things got darker musically, too, with Egregore leading us deeper into the serious "cult" of metal. I actually missed much of both of Egregore's and Mvlgrave's sets, as I had grown tired of being jostled, no longer had a good view, and had gotten peckish. Contrary to reports, there was food: mediocre Jamaican patties and superb potato salad (the guy thought it might have come from Cotsco), which together were $8 a plate. I hung out in the green room, which was the ship's dining area, also being used for gear storage and merch tables; I could still close my eyes and listen to Egregore, as the music was being piped in on speakers.
It was interesting how lax people were, how chill. Apparently at a past cruise, maybe the one where the Dayglo Abortions headlined, things got a bit too rowdy and the captain made the decision to turn back early ("I don't blame him, people were acting like idiots" the woman in the black-out-with-your-rack-out hat commented). But unlike what you'd get at most venues, I never had anyone tell me "you can't do that here." Someone who had had a drink too much, maybe, took a nap on one of the dining area benches; if that had happened at an actual venue, there would have been three security people telling her she couldn't sleep, but no one disturbed her (though her friends hung out with her to make sure all was well). When a random moshpit incident led to someone's phone going flying during Mvlgrave, it was promptly retrieved and returned to the owner. There were security people present, but had clearly been directed to stand down unless there was an actual problem.
Speaking of phones, I had forgotten to charge mine at work, so my battery died before I could shoot photos of anyone. I also missed out on the amazing, apocalyptic red sun that we could see after Space Queen finished. Due to forest fire smoke, sure, but still amazing to see in the sky, and, y'know, metal as fuck.








No comments:
Post a Comment