Friday, July 26, 2024

I, Braineater - the New Braineaters - plus Jim Cummins Art Show Saturday

This is shaping up to be a pretty interesting weekend.

1. Friday (tonight): Rickshaw, Art Bergmann. See recent past posts. 

2. Saturday: Jimmy Cummins' studio for an art show and "new Braineaters" concert, 7-10 pm at 20 Slocan. Never did much as a writer about Braineater, but I saw him open for the Dead Kennedys, back in the day, at my first-ever punk show circa 1984 (or 85? I always get it wrong). It was basically either just Jim,or Jim and a drummer, very minimal. I asked him once if he had a clear memory of whether it was a bottle or can that him in his head that night, but he did not.  

Whatever it is, he just kept playing, maybe blinking once or twice. 

I also saw and enjoyed him more recently at Ron Reyes' 50th birthday celebration, as more of a "frontman of a rock band." I still have a compilation CD that I'm guessing he pressed himself. It's got "Davie Street" on it! I have no idea if Jim still does "Davie Street." I asked through channels if I could have something to blurt about this show and/or the setlist and the quote I was given was, "Eat brains! Brains good!" (...I'm not sure I know that one). 

...while about the art show, I am told, "Jim says it's 'My Life in Painted Pictures.'"

3. Sunday: turns out a real interesting fella named James Mastro (more on whom here) will be supporting Alejandro Escovedo  If you don't know your Escovedo, I posted a helpful primer a couple posts back... or down... or however you think of it (temporal/ spatial disjuncts are a bitch). 

Pretty interesting weekend -- maybe gonna see a few other people in my demographic over the next couple of days. Have fun at the Red Gate or the Fox or Green Auto or...

1 comment:

Danny said...

Also- Daddy Issues is playing tonight (Saturn's Day) at the Bully Club (67 6th St) in New West!