Saturday, July 27, 2024

Art Bergmann, Rickshaw 2024, the missing interview, plus "Drones of Democracy"



Images by Allan MacInnis, though Sharon Steele, Gord McCaw, and Erik Iversen (who didn't look to be shooting, but I dunno) were all there, so if you want GOOD photos, talk to them!

So I have taken down that big Art piece from a couple of days ago! The whole point of posting that was to get people to the show; the show has now happened. If you missed it, or want to read it again, you can buy back issues of Big Takeover here; the ones you want are issues 81, 82, and the current issue, 94, which is on the stands now. Sorry!  

Last night had elements of magic and chaos, as ever, with the all-round strongest punch coming in the form of "Christo-Fascists," a chugging monster of a tune off Late Stage Empire Dementia, which features guitar contributions from Wayne Kramer (which Art and I talk about in issue 94, note). The song I was happiest and most surprised to hear was "Gambol," though I was also very happy to hear "Crawl With Me," a great song (in terms of studio recordings, best heard on the Design Flaw album), which I had actually requested on Facebook. Thanks for playing that, Art!  

I shot vid of "Drones of Democracy," but my storage maxed out (I need to spend a day cleaning out my phone). But it's always kind of a relief when the battery craps out (or the storage maxes out) at a show: I enjoyed "Gambol" a lot more with my phone in my pocket. Got my Songs from the Underclass EP, got my Art t-shirt. We ducked out during "Raw Naked Monday" -- I'd brought my wife, who'd been up since 6am, and had a long, tough day at work, so I handed her a "get out of Art Bergmann free" card and we snuck out. I am relieved to see, from the setlist that Patricia Kay posted, that I missed only one song I love, "Company Store," though it's great to see "If She Could Sing" was on the setlist, too. 

I'm actually really glad that Erika has now seen Art Bergmann! 

No comments: