Sunday, December 05, 2021

I want your XTC stories!

 I want your XTC stories!

I am stunned at how many of my friends saw XTC in Vancouver in 1980, and a bit envious.  

I was beyond it. I lived in Maple Ridge. I was 12. I was dimly aware of XTC, having seen the original 1980 release of Black Sea at stores in Maple Ridge - puzzlingly sheathed in black mylar or something, with, as I recall, only the letters XTC on the cover. I think it was actually on display at a Pay'n'Save, of all places! It would be years before I heard the album, or even saw what the cover really looked like, and even longer before I really got into it (it is probably my favourite XTC album all round, now). 

I want to post something more to welcome EXTC into Vancouver, but I can't write about shows I never saw. But I can collect your testimonials - any story you want to tell me about getting to see XTC at the Commodore or opening for the Police a bit later. What songs, or bits of between song stage patter, or so forth do you recall? What epiphenomenon around the gig - the audience, the venue, the openers (why did the Young Canadians not play the second night at the Commodore, anyhow?). Did you interact with the band? Are there high points or low points that aren't lost to the fog of time? Do you have songs in their catalogue that you have interesting opinions about, insights into, experience with covering, etc? Is there a story about how you got into them, or cool things you've noticed over the years about Terry's playing, or... ANYTHING about XTC and you in 1980, with one caveat which I will get to in a moment. 

Bev has agreed to provide photos (though other people are also welcome, if they have shots they want to share). If you saw XTC live - and, I hope, if you are excited about the prospect of welcoming Terry Chambers back to Vancouver with EXTC - I would love to hear your stories. I do reserve the right to edit for grammar and/ or to not publish anything that gets negative or critical about EXTC touring the songs of XTC - I'm not really interested in that angle, and it's not what I'm askin' for. Also need your real name, please. Stories will be published on this blog before the EXTC show (in March). PM me on Facebook, email me if you know my email, or just comment on this post, if we're not Facebook friends or such. Just keep it positive and friendly and welcoming, okay? Because that's the point of the piece. 

Thanks! 

No comments: