Friday, August 01, 2008

The World According to Monsanto

I always thought Nike got a bum rap. Sure, they exploit workers in third-world countries: what clothing manufacturer doesn't? Industry leader or no - however useful a victory it would be to the anti-globalization camp for Nike to admit wrongdoing and make changes - it's kinda unfair to single out one manufacturer for abuse, for behaviour that is widespread; I feel the same way about animal rights people pickin' on KFC, when anyone who eats non-free-range chickens (like me!) is as guilty as KFC of supporting factory farming practices...

One evil megacorporation does seem particularly worthy of being singled out for abuse, though, in our century: Monsanto, largely responsible for Agent Orange, rBGH, GMO's and more. A documentary about them, The World According to Monsanto, opens tonight at the VIFC. There's a Greenpeace article on Monsanto and the film, here. I don't have much to say about it - I ain't seen it - but I'm going to. Thought y'all might be interested.

No comments: