Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Casa Sueño turns LanaLou's into a House of Dreams

You people who didn't come last night realize that Watt is singing songs, new songs, right? Only a couple, but...


Most of my observations are being held for print reviews, but you can have that pic, and this one of Mike Baggetta with a rapt Aaron Chapman behind him. 

Oh, and there's video. 

Watt is a saint, sure, but Herndon (from Tortoise) and Baggetta were where the real musical action of the night was; they're amazing Watt seems to be mostly down for a real good time, takin' it pretty easy for a man who writes operas. But Watt having a real good time and takin' it pretty easy is in itself a joy to behold. And New! Songs! As fun as the days of pissbottles and pissbags, if you know what I mean "Truckstop Joe", hell yeah!

Got to tell Watt that "Pissbags and Tubing" meant a lot to me during my cancer surgery hospitalizations. ("I didn't fully appreciate that song before!").  

I have seen him five times now (bandleader twice, once with Baiza/ Corsano and once with the Stooges) but last night's gig was the one I enjoyed the most. Grateful to go again tonight. 

Oh, and Watt told me that What Makes a Man Start Fires? is the first album he ever did where he wrote all the music himself (which explains how cohesive it is!); that he plays "Bob Dylan Wrote Propaganda Songs" with a pick, hence the bubbly-doubled effect on the notes (I mean, I bet a bass player would know that already!). 

Aaron, coming out of the Lana's men's room as I was going in, remarked about seeing Watt with the Stooges (which I did too, but in Seattle; his was, I think he said, in Ontario?). "Did he hump the amp?" I asked. "I think so", he answered. 

He humped the amp in Seattle, but he still looked to be having more flat-out FUN last night. And those socks! 

(His feet seemed to tap in different time signatures to each other, note).

No merch. No Minutemen covers, nor fIREHOSE, nor Engine Room stuff. Will the set be the same tonight? 

Still prolly a chance to see this, way too few people (-50) were there last night. 





No comments: