Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Los Furios with Dragstrip Devils (top), Cawama (middle), Melody Mangler (red) and Justin Sane (brunette), February 24th at the Rickshaw!

Great night last night at the Rickshaw for the Los Furios homecoming show, their first in Vancouver since pre-COVID times. Very full house, more than Mo or I had expected; it was main-floor only, no balcony, that I could see, but it was still pretty packed, so it looks like my press support actually made a difference? (A few people actually cheered when Kyle gave a shout out to "my man Allan" who did the article, so somebody seemed to have read it!). Shot some vid of (Kelowna psychobilly band) Dragstrip Devils (who were fast and tight and playful) and Los Furios (in fine form for their big Vancouver comeback show), but I only snapped pics of (Vancouver/ Latino surf punks) Cawama, because I was saving my battery (but holy hell their cover of "Too Drunk to Fuck" was grand; there is a past clip of them doing it here). I checked out shortly after Los Furios did "Crazy World," which Kyle prefaced with some sensitively-worded stuff about supporting a ceasefire in Gaza, so I missed the last few songs -- footsore and exhausted after a very long day, I stuck around only long enough through "Body Bag" to determine that it wasn't a Nomeansno cover -- but it was really fun to dance to "Revolution Rock," and I learned a few new favourite Los Furios tunes (like the exuberant, punky "One Last Time," which was my fave of the songs they did that I did not already know).  They also did a song off their upcoming album, Old Ghosts -- which should surface on their bandcamp any day -- which gives some sage advice about not opening the door when the doubts and regrets and so forth of your past come knocking. I can't remember the actual chorus now, but I could see Jonny Bones of (fellow ska-punk travellers) the Bone Daddies in the audience, singing along from the gitgo. Bones is a fast study, I guess!

Nice to be back in the Rickshaw -- feels like it's been awhile, don't think I've been there since last Keithmas -- but Squid and the Reverend Horton Heat are both coming soon. It was good to be back. 

All photos by me. Everything on this blog is "not to be re-used without permission," but, like, just ask (Adam PW Smith has professional-level shots if you're lookin'). 

























No comments: