Saturday, November 11, 2023

Gig report: I didn't go

 Report on the cool shows that happened:

I missed all of it. I suggested Erika and I meet up for dinner at the Princeton -- I actually DID make it that far. But she had never planned to stay for music; she'd had an exhausting week at work, as usual, and I've been running around doing the Otway thing, the Clearcut thing, seeing Oxbow... and haven't had a night with more than five hours' sleep in weeks. Often I find myself going to bed at midnight and waking up to pee at 4 or 5am, then writing a bit, then going back to bed for an hour... that's been the pattern for weeks...

So having eaten, then there was the prospect of staying out for hours and going home on the bus, which would involve walking to a bus stop and standing there in the rain for half an hour, getting pissed on, versus getting a ride back to Burnaby... plus I had promised Erika I would walk her to the car because of this story about an attack in the area of the Princeton... was I really going to do that and walk back and wait half an hour for music and somehow find the mojo to see two bands and then walk to Green Auto...?

Nope. I wanted to be HOME. I wanted to go to BED. And I wanted A RIDE THERE.

So that's what I did. I came home with Erika. We watched an hour-long Netflix show about cats, which I slept through most of, then I took a sleeping pill, and was asleep in bed before 11:30. It was as lame-ass and old-man as can be.

But I slept through til 6:30AM, when the cat climbed onto my feet and traversed the length of me, parking on my ribcage for awhile. It's the longest sleep I have had in weeks, maybe months. I feel like a dork (and missed out on something extra special, I gather), but I needed it.

Hope y'all had a good time... weak ole man here... sorry...

5 comments:

Allan MacInnis said...

And now I am going to GO BACK TO BED.

Allan MacInnis said...

Slept for three more hours!

monsterdog said...

i do it all the time...buy a ticket...make a plan...anticipate a good time...look at the weather...wonder if the band will finish in time for me to catch the last train home...say fuck it...go to the fridge...open a beer...turn on the fireplace...and put my newest favourite cd on...you should have stayed home on friday and watched the fugs live stream from the brooklyn folk fest...ed saunders singing kill for peace at 84...the coolest hippie beatnik still standing...and singing...20 bucks for the whole weekend...a celebration of harry smith...david johansen doing songs from harry's anthologies this afternoon...wow...david's harry smiths albums are among my fave johansen albums...best of all tonight...peter stampfel improvising a live soundtrack to harry's movies...way cool...i tried to hip you to it but you said it wasn't your thing...????...i hope you found a cool alternative...

Allan MacInnis said...

What? No, that would have been totally my thing, so I musta fucked up... Oops..

Allan MacInnis said...

I have slept ten hours two nights in a row, now. Musta needed it.