Thursday, May 12, 2022

Hathaway Brothers plus Rock Against Racism: a Greg Hathaway interview

Greg Hathaway is a busy guy lately. A lifer on the Vancouver music scene, he plays with the Hathaway Brothers, Mel's Rock Pile (at least once a year!), the Asian Persuasion All Stars, and Roots Roundup (and maybe other bands I don't know about?). With a Hathaway Brothers gig at Central City this weekend, and two of his bands playing at Rock Against Racism at the Rickshaw on June 4th, I shot him a few email interview questions. Greg was juggling work and I'm negotiating COVID, so this is a bit brief, but you'll have a few chances to see him in the next few weeks...!

Note: an earlier version of this piece suggested that Dave Gregg had been in Roots Roundup, but I think I was thinkin' of the Groovaholics or some other band with two O's in their name. Oops!


Allan: What will the Hathaway Brothers be doing at Central City? (What's your brother's musical history? Have you been doing stuff with him fora long time?).


Greg: We're going to be having a good time, that's what we're going to be doing! Playing some rock'n roll, reggae, ska and punk/new wave classics with our honorary Hathaway Brothers Blake Annabel (lead guitar) andMellow Friesen (our brotherette) singing a couple of Bowie songs with us. David and I have been playing together on and off in many different bands since we were 13 & 14 years old. I won't say how old we are now, but suffice to say it's been a long musical history for the both of us!


Tell me about Mellow - how long have you been working with her? What was she wearing at the Bowie Ball - the mask? (A tribute to Orville Peck, perhaps?). Will you be doing "I'm Afraid of Americans" at Central City?

I've been working with Mellow for around 6 or 7 years now, but we've known each other for over 30 years. Mellow and I both had fancy masks for the Bowie Ball this year and mine was definitely inspired by Orville Peck, but Mellow's, I'm not sure... Mellow always shines with her own style and always sports the fanciest outfits for the Bowie Ball! Dang, we weren't planning on doing "I'm Afraid of Americans" at Central City, but you never know... that would be kind of fun in this configuration.


How did you end up in the Asian Persuasion All-Stars? Given the reggae aspect of the band, did Roots Roundup have any history with anti-racist songwriting...? (Was it your tenure in that band that got you invited to join, or some other factor?).

Tony Lee, Eric Lowe and Tim Chan just asked me if I wanted to be a part of it and I was like, sure! My history of playing reggae and ska definitely had something to do with it. I think they were looking for a
little "Greggae" vibe on the rhythm guitar! I'm glad to be part of a specifically anti-racism band and there's really a great bunch of positive, fun and talented people involved!


If someone is sort of a noob to Roots Roundup, where should they start? Is there a song you play at every show, an album you're particularly proud of? What was the highest point in terms of live shows...?

Well, that's hard to say. We put out a handful of albums, many moons ago, and there are definitely songs we play at every show. There's a release called Rootrospective that is a collection of our best known tunes that's available on various online platforms. We've always been a primarily live band, so the best introduction is really to come see us live! As far as a highest point for live shows, there's been so many over the years... we'd sell out the Commodore, weekend nights at theTown Pump, places all over town and were playing sold out shows all across Canada for a few years there. We still (or did recently, before the damnpenic!) play shows at really great music festivals and community halls throughout B.C. and sometimes even venture back to Alberta. I'd have to say that playing the closing slot for the Jazz Festival at David Lam Park on a Saturday evening a few years back was definitely a recent high, or highest point. Also Rogue Fest on the Sunshine Coast in 2019, Denman Island for NYE 2020... can't wait to get out there again!


Has playing with the Asian Persuasion All-Stars opened your eyes to anything you were unaware of, about racism in and around Vancouver, your own attitudes, or so forth? Has it turned you onto any cool music? (Tim Chan seems to have a wealth of musical knowledge, in particular).


I've been very aware of racism since I was a kid growing up in South East Van and am vehemently anti-racist, so I wouldn't say it's opened my eyes to anything, per se. It's always interesting and sometimes astonishing to hear new stories about people's experiences, though.I've supported refugee societies and immigration settlement societies with my music at fundraisers over the years and truly love our multi-cultural society. I will oppose and fight against racism any chance I get. To quote the mighty British poet and songwriter LKJ, "Fascists on the attack, nobody worry 'bout that. Fascists on the attack, we will fight them back". In my own experience, the only trouble I've ever had from neighbours has been with white neighbours! 

Now, Tim Chan... yes, he is a wealth of musical knowledge and an extremely nice fellow, too.

I'm really, really looking forward to the Rock Against Racism show with DOA on June 4th at the Rickshaw. Love Joe, love DOA, love the Rickshaw and support the fundraising. Roots Round Up has a couple of surprises lined up... RRU has played with DOA many times over the years and this one is going to blow the roof off the place. Playing with Asian Persuasion too just doubles my pleasure!


Rock Against Racism is a ways away, but the Hathaway Brothers play Friday at Central City Taphouse (try the sticky date pudding!). 

No comments: