Wednesday, March 06, 2024

Brock's Birthday: Interviews with Brock of the SLIP~ons and Jeffrey of the Tranzmitors, plus much more, re: gig at Green Auto, March 8th

If circumstances allow me to inhabit the best of both worlds, I'm going to be able to see both the SLIP~ons and Tranzmitors sets at Green Auto this Friday, then rush off to the Waldorf for at least a part of the Dayglo Abortions (I'll miss Car 87 but I'll get to see them, at least, next week at Bully's; more on those gigs here... it might be doable). It'll be one stacked Friday! But my first duty will be to the SLIP~ons, because hey, whattaya know, SLIP~ons leader Brock Pytel (last interviewed by me at length here) has a birthday the same week as I do! (And they're a great band that I haven't seen in what feels like a year, so...). 

The following article will talk about two things; Brock will catch us up to date on the gig and the new SLIP~ons EP, Heavy Machinery then we'll follow my first feature interview, ever, with Jeff of the Tranzmitors. I've seen the Tranzmitors half a dozen times since I first caught them at the 2007 Scratch Birthday celebrations, and have ALWAYS loved what they do -- one of the best live bands in Vancouver. But I've never actually interviewed them! 

I did also reach out to James Farwell of Bison about his poetry reading, but he would prefer to let his poetry speak for itself; note that Bison will be next playing in mid-June, as part of the Rickshaw's 15th anniversary celebrations, in a bill also featuring a specially re-formed Black Wizard!

But that's June; let's stick to this Friday. By the way, Brock would like me to emphasize that Whiskey Six will have pulled pork sandwiches, burgers, and a vegan option for sale, so you can actually have dinner out at Green Auto. The restaurant, Whiskey Six BBQ, is actually shutting down on a Friday night to cater the show, so let's make it worth their while... 



Part One: Brock Pytel on Heavy Machinery

Allan: Were the songs on the new EP all written about the same relationship, after it ended, or were you still involved with the person in question when you wrote “Heavy Machinery"? (There seems to be a bit of an arc to things). I assume that the moment that that song is written around is actually drawn from life; how soon after that moment did you write the lyric?

Brock: I would say half of these songs were inspired by the same relationship, and "Heavy Machinery" was one ("Soldier, Don’t Say Goodbye" was the other). The refrain of "Heavy Machinery" was a quote from a real life conversation which stuck with me. It seemed kinda made to be a song lyric so I worked it in there. Up to that point, we had been singing some goofy nonsense lines about being wasted at a party in that part of the song. I am pretty sure I wrote it down very soon after it happened.

The remaining songs aren’t specifically about that relationship, but are similarly broken-relationship inspired. I guess I’ve been butthurt for a while! "Nothing Is Good Enough" was more about my father, but I suppose it works the other way as well. Sometimes I don’t really know what the song is actually about until after it has been finished. It starts off being about one thing and then winds up being about something else entirely after I have lived through a certain experience.


Allan: I love how concrete the lyrics to that song are, when it comes to naming specific places in Vancouver. A whole lot of people hearing it locally will have memories of sitting in Grandview Park, say -- it makes it very real. And I love when lyricist hides meaning in a reference like this for locals - like when Tom Anselmi sings in "Dust" about walking down Hastings Street, "Sears Tower at my back," you can figure that he’s probably heading into the DTES to do some self-destructive things, but if you don’t know the city, you won’t get that. So first question -- is there significance to Kitchener and Cotton? I don’t know that intersection, really. 

Brock: Thanks for the fine compliment! Absolutely there is. Kitchener and Cotton St was where I remember being when I had that conversation. In real life, it is Cotton Drive, but “street” worked better. I went back there later when I got to the second verse, and wandered around, but it was quite different, so I pieced it together as best I could from memory.

Do you have other favourite specific city references, Vancouver or otherwise, in song lyrics (yours or otherwise?).

Brock: I love these kinds of references! There’s of course that Samiam song “Dull” which mentions Gilman Street in Berkeley, which generally makes me smile when I hear it. ALL has “Alfredo’s” about the Mexican restaurant in Lomita they used to eat at. The phone number is in the song, and the place became kind of a destination for fans.

I’m working on a song currently which is inspired by some early trips to Detroit that I made with the Doughboys. We used to play this place called the Graystone, not the big ballroom, but the hall. I’ve reached out to Scotty and Bond Head to ask what they remember, and it is fascinating to learn how each of us recall different details about the same events. Slips are debuting "Graystone" on Friday but I haven’t finished the lyrics yet.


Allan: I had thought of the SLIP~ons mostly in terms of the Replacements, once upon a time, but this EP, I am hearing much more Bob Mould, especially track 2 and 3 (1 and 4 remind me more of Soul Asylum). Is that just because these are biting relationship songs, which is something Mould excels at, or was he looming large for other reasons (if I recall, I saw you and the person-in-question AT a Mould show, and he played Vancouver two or three times during the period when this album was being written...?).

Brock: I agree, Track 3, "Nothing is Good Enough," is definitely in the Husker vein. I wouldn’t attribute that to anything in particular, other than that band’s influence on me in general. There’s a thing that sometimes happens when you write songs on an acoustic guitar, maybe with a bunch of cowboy chords, then bring it into a band and play it faster. Shockk kind of hates that we get compared to Husker Du but I think it is a fair comparison.

Allan: Without wanting to criticize anyone -- I wonder about the need for/ wisdom of preparing two versions of “Mosquito.” Like, SOMETIMES it makes sense to do this -- Frazey Ford’s “Done,” say; the version with “fuck up” on it won’t get on the radio, most likely, but “mess up” will: fine. But are the SLIP~ons getting radio play? Did doing two versions of the song have a meaningful impact?

Brock: We only released a [clean] version of “Mosquito” because the US radio promoter requested it specifically. “Heavy Machinery” the single came out a month before the EP, so they decided “Mosquito” would be the single they wanted to work when they began their campaign. Slips got radio play on a dozen or so stations in America, and here and there in Canada. I don’t know that that qualifes as Meaningful Impact, but I look at it like due diligence. The songs are meaningful to ME, and I consider it part of my job to help them reach as reach as far as possible.

Allan: BTW when I read “explicit lyrics” on bandcamp, I was all het up for something raunchy. It was a very underwhelming moment: “Oh, it’s just 'fuck!'” Then I was like... “Why?” It distracted me from the song itself.

Brock: Yeah, in hindsight, I probably could have just left the clean version off the Bandcamp EP. The song is the song, and it is a bit weird to have it appear back to back there. [The clean version is] not on the vinyl record, nor should it be.

SLIP~ons by D.Ballantyne: Brian, Brock, Shockk

Allan: How old are you turning? (I’m turning 56 on March 7th). Any other special plans or wishes for your birthday, besides this show?

Brock: I’m turning 57. This whole show kind of IS the special plan. We celebrated my birthday the last two years in this way by hosting a party at our rehearsal space. Its just what I like to do most in the world. Back then we were one of the only tenants in the building and it was no problem for our friends to spill out into the hallways or gather outside the bathroom, in the parking lot, or on the stairs or whatever. Now, there are about 20 other bands in there and it is just not cool to do that anymore, hence Green Auto.

Allan: Any thoughts about the Tranzmitors? The SLIPs surely have shared a bill with them before... any stories there, favourite moments, favourite songs? you ever see them when Fergus was in the band? (I never did, but I love a couple of their songs as much as I love any power pop ever crafted, esp “I See the Writing on the Wall” and “Look What You’re Doing” which is one of my favourite songs griping about radio neglect and irrelevancy - wanting a soundtrack to your life but turning on the radio to find that“the songs are older” than you are...).

Brock: We actually have never played a show with the Tranzmitors before now. I think the only time I ever saw them was just a few months ago when they played with Autogramm at Red Gate. I just love that they sound kinda like Stiff Little Fingers meets the Undertones! I recently sat down with Jeff over coffee and we chatted until Bump & Grind kicked us out. He is a fine human.


Allan: Who are Knightwolfs? I do not know them, and all I can find are some Instagram clips that suggest they're mostly a stoner metal band. Do you know more?

Brock: Knightwolfs are our rehearsal space mates. I have known John Stewart, their drummer, for many years. He is a Winnipeg guy who used to be in a band called Red Fisher. He also played in Burn the Eight Track, Mico, and did a stint in the Halos after Jay Millette left. The last time we had my birthday party, we talked about having Johnny Trash play, but Johnny left that band and formed Knightwolfs, so here we are.

Allan: Anything else you want to say about the show - about James Farwell, about Whiskey Six bbq (I am assuming that is actual food and not a badly-named band?).

Brock: I was hoping to have a nice messed up blend of genres for this show, like in the old days, where we would play a “hardcore matinee” with speed metal bands or whatever. James and I have a side project together called SÖLS, but we’re not quite ready to play a show yet, and I didn’t really want to do double duty (I’m the drummer), so I just asked James if he would contribute some of his dark poetry. Whiskey Six is my neighbour Marc Wicks’s awesome BBQ place and he was there the day the courier showed up with hundreds of vinyl records. This seemed like the perfect time to team up!

SLIP~ons at Bully's by DBallantyne

Part Two: Jeff (or does he prefer Jeffrey?) of Tranzmitors

All (vintage!) Tranzmitors photos by bev davies! Thanks bev! 

I first saw the Tranzmitors at the Scratch Records 20th anniversary celebration shows, along with Vancougar, Thor, and a host of other cool local bands. They made a heck of an impression, having an energy and a level of, say, "performative orchestration" that are rare in Vancouver, with similar suits, similar haircuts, similar body types, similar moves, and a similar attitude towards performing that kind of quadrupled or quintupled the force of the show (were there four of them back then, or five). Plus they had some extremely hooky songs ("Look What You're Doing" was in their set even back then. My observations in the Nerve Magazine -- at least what I sent'em; it might have gotten edited out of the final version -- read as follows:

Though they’re not in the same league as Thor (for which I am sure they are eternally grateful), the Tranzmitors were by far the tightest, brightest, most energetic band of the second evening. Their best songs (“Look What You’re Doing,” say) rival the output of their idols, the Jam and the Undertones. I can never escape the feeling when I see them that I’m watching a Guy Ritchie movie about the Mod Revival; Nick looks like he’s going to whip out a machine gun at any moment.

Over the years since, I've seen the Tranzmitors open for the Sonics and Wreckless Eric; I'm pretty sure I caught them at that Japan Earthquake relief gig; and who knows where-all-else... I always enjoy what they do. Founding member Jeffrey Pop took the time to scratch a few of my itches, and Bev dug up some astonishing photos, going back to 2007. If you haven't seen them, you will not be disappointed (especially if you love bands like Stiff Little Fingers, the Undertones, or the Jam). No further introduction is needed, surely: let's get to it (note: Jeff likes capital letters more than I do! He seems to prefer MOD to Mod or mod. Both of the latter seem fine, but MOD seems like we're talking about Method of Destruction, so... my blog my rules!). 

Tranzmitors by bev davies at Pats Pub, Nov 9, 2007. Jeffrey: "I'm on the left, Bryce is in the middle and Mike (glasses) on the right. However, there is no Nick."

Allan: I think of the Tranzmitors as a sort of "Mod Revival revival," like your most direct influences are bands like the Jam. Is that correct? Where did that start? (Does anyone in the band have direct connection to the UK or the Mod scene that should be noted?).

Jeff: I feel the Tranzmitors for sure have elements of the Mod Revival movement, especially the one from 1979. However, there is some seriously deep record collecting that takes place within the band so the collective influences we are all pulling from is all over the rock 'n' roll spectrum. This said, I do love The Jam, but I can only think of one song I have ever written ("Sunday Morning") where I was intentionally trying to get all my Wellerisms in, and I was mostly just trying to write a song that had a "Down in the Tube Station at Midnight" vibe.

Allan: What about first generation Mod stuff?

Jeff: I can't speak for everyone but watching Quadrophenia as a kid definitely had an impact on me! My first vehicle was a 1972 Small Frame Vespa 90, however, I'm not sure if taking scooters into the skatepark is a very Mod thing to do so...


Everyone has a pretty deep love for the music of the 60's which includes the early Mod groups. I am pretty sure everyone in the band has family still living in the UK and Nick sees his Welsh family quite regularly. however, I don't know of any direct link to the 60's Mod movement. My 2nd aunt lives close to the QPR grounds and will send me passive-aggressive hate messages because I support Chelsea FC, so there is that!

Allan: Do you have any sort of rule for clothing? The band has a "look" in keeping with the Mod thing -- I don't think I have ever seen the band perform without suits on. I wonder if that has in fact been a constant, if you all have the same sources for clothes, or if there are any agreements about what you're going to wear? (No such luck as to have a clothes sponsorship, eh? I gather a few years ago - maybe still - Brixton had a deal to provide clothing for a few Vancouver bands -- maybe the Vicious Cycles, with Nick, was one of them? I forget. They should definitely send the Tranzmitors some suits, if they aren't doing it already).

Jeff: I worked as a tailor for many years so there are all sorts of clothing rules I adhere to, so by my standards it should be said that most people make some seriously horrible fashion choices when they leave the house! But there are certainly no rules within the band. We have played plenty of shows without suits but we are always very mindful of what we look like on stage. We all agree that part of getting on the stage as a band is feeling like a band or a gang! The way a band looks on stage is a big aspect of what wins me over, especially in a live situation.

[And there are] no clothing sponsorships...I remember when Brixton was hooking bands up with Flatcaps a few years back. A side note regarding flatcaps is that Bryce's last name is Dunn which is also a fantastic British hat company. In fact, a few of my favourite flatcaps are from the Dunn Company. Although my favourite flatcap which is more of a tartan riding cap is made by Richards and Thirkhill and the reason it's my favourite hat is because I have the matching scarf, It really does look quite good.

Tranzmitors by bev davies, March 16, 2008: Nick is bottom right. Is that Jarrod, above him?

Allan: Speaking of the UK, Nick confirmed for me not long ago that Fergus from the street punk band Emergency was actually an early member of the Tranzmitors (something Dale at Noize to Go had mentioned years ago). What was Fergus' history with the band? Did he write any of your songs? (Which?). Did he leave to join another band, or to go back home, or...? Who replaced him?

Jeff: Fergus, Nick, Bryce and I started the band together. Fergus plays bass on the first four singles and sings lead on some of those tracks ("Some Girls," "Teenage Filmstar" and "Invisible Girl"). I was a fan of Emergency so I'm sure that's how Fergus and I met although both Bryce and I worked at a Record shop called Singles Going Steady around the time Fergus moved to Vancouver so we may have all met there. Nick and Fergus met while working together with special needs people, and they were the first to have any rock 'n' roll connection as Fergus played sax on one track on the last Smugglers album (Mutiny in Stereo). Fergus left the band because he was moving away for family reasons. We are all still friends today.
 
After Fergus left, Jarrod (keyboards) and Tyler (bass) joined and this version of the band released the S/T album. Shortly after the album was released Tyler left and was replaced by Mike. This 5-piece lineup put out a handful of releases and did a bunch of touring until Jarrod left after a tour to California and we stayed as a 4-piece to this day.

Allan: Two of my favourite Vancouver power-pop songs ever are by the Tranzmitors: "I See the Writing on the Wall" and "Look What You're Doing To Me."  I can make out enough of "Look What You're Doing to Me" to figure it is complaining about the staggering irrelevancy of commercial radio but I have no idea what "I See the Writing on the Wall" is about! Any explanation and insight into either song is welcome.
 
Jeff: "Look What You're Doing to Me" was as you mentioned calling out the irrelevance of commercial radio, but there is also a certain sadness within the song for me in the sense of loss that the current state radio made me feel (this song was written in 2006). This song was written when streaming sites were in their infancy so radio was still a viable medium to hear new music but mainstream radio had lost the plot. The college radio scene was still very relevant but the days of the mainstream DJ were long gone. There is a line making reference to Little Steven's Underground Garage which was a decent show that was reaching a larger audience at the time but it was not a regular radio show. I am basically just sad that radio went the way it did because I enjoyed listening to it. Oh well.
 
"I See the Writing on the Wall" is about not learning from our history even though we write it down and document it so future generations don't make the same mistakes but ultimately we never learn. I always liked the intro lines to this song "They say the pen is mightier than the sword when it's used to claim a just reward."

Allan: It is my impression that the Tranzmitors have had a few hiatuses over the years, is this correct? I seem to remember when I saw you open for the Sonics that you had been inactive for some time -- remember thinking, "Ooh, the Tranzmitors are back!" But you seem to be gigging regularly now...? (Are you recording?). What determines when you are going to go on breaks? Do you all have decent dayjobs or more lucrative bands that you play in (It seems like Nick is in the most other bands, but maybe I'm wrong about that...? Do you have another band?).
 
Jeff: We are all quite good friends so we've been able to go in and out of activity over the years. Everyone has actually has been in other projects when the Tranzmitors are in and out of action. Nick is in the Vicious Cycles (who just recorded a new album) and the Evaporators. Bryce also played in Vapid, Mikey was in the Flitettes and is also in Rempel and the Rousers who also just recorded a new album. I was in Fashionism and also put out some solo Records. So nobody ever stopped playing while the Tranzmitors took breaks.
 
Yes we all have day jobs and nobody has ever played in a lucrative band!

The Tranzmitors are working on a new album that we will be recording in the fall.

Allan: Any stories - or ones you can tell publicly, anyhow - from that Sonics gig? That was the last time the mostly-original incarnation of the Sonics played Vancouver; I think there is only one original member left now, but Gerry Roslie and Larry Parypa were there that day, as I recall. It seemed a very fraught gig: the Sonics had had border issues, arrived late, were making panicky last minute rearrangements to their setlist, and Roslie, as I remember, was particularly flustered, having difficulty with the lyrics to "The Witch," despite having written it (Freddie Dennis, the "new guy" bassist, took over and rescued it). I wasn't surprised that Roslie retired soon after. They still did an amazing job -- it was really an energetic, impressive set, but it seemed SUCH a fraught gig, I'd be curious about ANY stories you have. (The Tranzmitors rocked that night).
 
I think the Tranzmitors, the Flitettes and the Vicious Cycles all played with the Sonics at different times! I don't have any stories to share regarding the Sonics show. It was very cool to get to share the stage with them!

Wreckless Eric at the Astoria, 2016, by me

Allan: Speaking of fraught gigs, that feckin' Wreckless Eric gig at the Astoria -- which I am SURE is the last time he will play Vancouver -- was another one. Again, the Tranzmitors were awesome, but I recall Eric being stressed out about the lack of a rider or much of a green room (I regret to this day not inviting him to come over to the table for a slice of the pizza we ordered -- I had tried to interact with him but he seemed a bit shy, so I didn't, but later he mentioned on Facebook or such about how there was no food and nowhere nearby to go for it -- turns out he was super hungry and there was a moment where I was DIGGING INTO A LARGE PIZZA with Ed Hurrell, Nick Mitchum and my wife and I actually LOOKED OVER AT HIM at the far end of the room and DID NOT MAKE A "COME HAVE PIZZA" GESTURE -- man I wish I had!). And the audience were so loud and disrespectful... the Tranzmitors rocked as always... but again, a very fraught gig. Did you get to interact with Eric much? He must surely be someone the Tranzmitors have love for (he was great that night in spite of it all, I thought).

Jeff: That Wreckless Eric show was mental, It was terrible and sort of amazing at the same time. Eric was not in a good mood at the show and it really showed in his performance. He played Vancouver a few years earlier at the Railway Club and that show was very good [I was there too!]. When he was basically just sitting on the floor and twisting knobs on his pedals to create noise he basically cleared the room.

Bev: "Tranzmitors at UBC Sub Ballroom Nov 3, 2007 their legs so skinny"

 Allan: I do not know MOST of what the Tranzmitors have done, so I wonder if there are other stories about notable gigs -- heroes you have opened for, marvelous crowds, weird locations? Any memorable stories are welcome...

We have played with a lot of fantastic bands over the years but nothing comes close to having our album released on Stiff Records and doing the UK Stiff Records tour to support it! This still sort of blows my mind.

Allan: Is there anything new in the works -- albums, singles, big shows coming up?

Jeff: You mean other than world domination? Well like I mentioned earlier we are writing a new album that we will be recording in the Fall. Once the Record is done the plan is to go back over to Europe/UK to support the album.

Jeffrey and Mike, Nov. 3, 2007 at UBC SUB. Bev: "I seem to have played with this one"

Allan: Anything to say about the show -- connections with the Knightwolfs, James Farwell, or the SLIP~ons? Special things that are planned? Is anyone in the Tranzmitors also having a birthday in March? (Mine is the day before).
 
It's a double dip birthday party!!! I don't think anyone in the Tranzmitors camp will also be celebrating the joys of ageism but the show is going to be great, so many fantastic people are involved with the show you know it's going to be a blast. But I will be expecting a piece of birthday cake at this show so I hope someone has this all sorted.

No connections as such between the various bands but I did go out for a nice coffee/chat with Brock a couple weeks back and I think he had his first Cortado so I was very happy to be part of this big step in the right direction for Brock's future coffee consumption.

Allan: One final question: Why do you figure the spelling "Tranzmitors" is so much cooler than Transmitters? Was the band ever just called the Transmitters? Who decided on the stylized spelling? (Your way is linguistically accurate, btw -- the "s" in transmit is ACTUALLY PRONOUNCED as a Z, when people say it, because both the N and the M are voiced sounds; the S assimilates to the sounds around it. It would sound really dumb if someone made an S sound for the S letter when saying "transmit.")

Jeff: Because the "Z" is a way cooler letter than the "S". And SS is a bit problematic. Plus it looks cool when you stretch the Z out! Everyone should make sure that have a cool logo for their band so that it has the potential to be a school locker tag or a binder doodle!

Tranzmitors by bev davies, March 16, 2008: Jeffrey, Nick, Bryce, Mike, and...Jarrod?

For more information on the gig, go here!
Or here
Thanks to Brock and Jeffrey for the answers... happy birthday Brock... Seeya Friday!


(stolen from Jeffrey's Facebook)

No comments: