Monday, October 02, 2023

To the Unknowns out there

 Just a word of explanation.

There is a commenter on this blog whose comments I no longer want to read, let alone publish. They are kind of abusive at times and dealing with them can have an unsettling effect. I've blocked this person on Facebook, but it's not so simple here. Blogger allows us at most to screen comments, but to screen them, you have to read them. I don't want to read any more of this person's comments. You can disallow anonymous comments, but Google will still ascribe people the identity of "unknown," and still submit them for your consideration, which doesn't really achieve the desired end. 

Anyhow, asking this person to stop doesn't seem to have an effect (80% of these comments are about how I need to be on Ozempic; I've told this person multiple times that I do not want to receive any sort of diet/ medical advice from them, but they're very persistent and insistent and somehow unable to process this information). 

The net result: if I see comments coming from someone identified as "unknown," I simply won't be reading them. You'll have to have some sort of identity that Google recognizes if you want to interact with me here. I realize that this person is not the only "unknown" who sometimes comments, but since there is no other way to screen him out, this is my only option. 

Note: it doesn't matter if you put your name in the message, because that would require me to read the message to see it; if your comment reads "unknown" as an identity -- if Google does not recognize you -- I simply won't be reading it. 



No comments: