Wednesday, August 03, 2022

Paul Pigat and Cousin Harley: the Rickshaw Return!

Paul Pigat with Cousin Harley, photo by Bob Hanham, not to be reused without permission

The last time Cousin Harley played the Rickshaw, it was one of those windows where gigs were allowed, but mandates on gathering and masking were in place. You had to show a vaccine passport at the door, the show was only sold to half-capacity, there were probably those feckin' folding chairs everywhere (spaced out to ensure physical distancing) and everyone was required to wear a mask. 

Even despite giving him some press, I apologized to Paul and bailed on the show; with cancer surgery then looming, surgeries being cancelled left and right, and the knowledge that my tumours - bleeding, painful, and increasingly interfering with chewing - would continue to grow in my mouth unless I did something, I could not afford anything that would interfere with getting operated upon. I have no doubt it was a rip-snorting rock'n roll show, even with precautions in place, but I was not there.  

Flash forward a year, and times have changed: COVID is still around and spreading more easily than ever, albeit in a milder (?) variant. Despite this, there seem to be no mandates of any sorts, no passports, no restrictions on venues, and almost everyone who does go to gigs or play seems to eventually come down with COVID, from touring acts like the Circle Jerks and Bob Mould to both my wife (who probably caught it off Eugene Chadbourne) and I (who probably caught it at a Ford Pier gig, though whether I caught it off him or he caught it off me or whether we both caught it off someone else remains unclear). It's almost become a sort of rite-of-passage for local musicians, though I've noted several who have come down with it, bounced back, and are gigging again. Things are not normal, however much we may wish them to be, but it seems nothing is being done (at the moment, anyhow) to protect public safety, and in the absence of regulation, there seem to be two choices: to say "fuck it" and embrace live music and life and just hope whatever variant you get is mild and passes and doesn't open the door to stronger symptoms, or to stay well away from gigs or any places the maskless congregate and rage at how irresponsible they are (we all have a few Facebook friends like that, don't we?).  

I feel torn in both directions, but I've resolved that - barring another health emergency - I'm gonna see Cousin Harley this September 17th, a week shy of the anniversary of that previous date. Here's an interview with Paul Pigat, about the upcoming show; I am in italics, Paul is not. Note: the bassist in the photo below, Keith Picot, is no longer in Cousin Harley, which is in fact where the questions begin...

AM: So what happened with Keith Picot? I have not followed news with him - how did you end up with a new bassist? What's his history with Vancouver music/ you/ other bands...? (What's Keith up to? I'll miss his expressive face)...


PP: Man I really want to make up a crazy story about him being abducted by aliens or something but i guess the real one is crazy enough!   Keith has always been a fan of solitude which of course is surprising considering what a performer he is. Six months into the pandemic Keith packed a suitcase and some tools and left for Ecuador. He is currently homesteading in the Amazon rainforest with his wife and a gaggle of stray dogs and cats he has found. He is doing quite well and loves his new life living off the grid in the Amazon.

The bass player chair in Cousin Harley is hard to fill. Keith was my 3rd bass player but has been with us for over 15 years. We were really lucky that Jeremy Holmes was interested in joining the band. Jer has played with tons of bands in town including Bughouse 5, Terminal Station and Steve Dawson to name a few. He's doing an awesome job fitting in and learning our book which is pretty extensive, considering I've had this band together since 1998.

There seems to be a consensus among a lot of people on FB that it is too soon for gigs, but I'm eating them up. Are you nervous about COVID? Have you had it already? Any impressions of the weird "culture war" that seems to have developed over responses to the crisis? Do you miss mask mandates? Are you taking any precautions? 

This is a tough question. I want to create a safe environment for the shows but I want people to have fun too. finding the balance with that isn't an easy task. I'd like to think that our audience is pretty conscientious and will self-monitor before shows. I must admit, I don't miss the mask mandates but if they come back I'll be on the lookout for something stylish this time!

What Festivals are you playing this year? How do you tour BC Festivals - do you have a bus, a van, or do you fly... or...? Is it just the band, or do you bring road crew or such? How many vehicles?

HA! A road crew would be awesome but unfortunately we are not there! It's just the three of us on the road. This year was only western Canada dates, most were contracts for 2020 so I'm really glad we were able to finally honor them. I knew early on that it was too soon to start booking tours around anchor dates. There are just too many variables and unforeseen problems (I didn't expect the shitshow the airlines and rental car companies became!). All gigs were one offs this summer and we flew in. We were lucky with the flights as I bought the tickets ages ago and didn't have any cancellations! Whew!!! Hopefully we become road warriors again next year

Speaking of road stuff, how do you pass time touring? What do you listen to (and how do you apportion who gets to play what)? Do you pack books? I know you build guitars - do you ever pack guitar projects you are working on, or do you have no space? Any other "road pastimes" of note?


We listen to a lot of comedy and jazz when we were touring in the van. There's usually a banjo and a mandolin as well. It gets a bit hillbilly. Guitar projects stay at the shop. There's enough dust there and we don't need anything else to stink up the van any more than it already does!

Are there places you love to play because of non-musical considerations? "I am really glad to be playing at __________ this year, because I get to eat at ______/ shop at ______/ visit _________?" Do you ever go out of your way to get booked into particular festivals because of such considerations?


Its always about people. We've been out doing this for so long that we've met some great folks and this is our way of keeping in touch with them. Our road touring is fast and tight so not a lot of time for fancy dinners etc. We used to look forward to great thrift shops but not so much anymore. That being said, if there's a good guitar shop in a town you know you will find me there.

Were people all supportive of the "more rock than billy"" direction you've been heading? I have been under the impression that there are some real rockabilly purists out there - do they come to shows and shout "Judas," or...? Where does this trajectory end up?


I think we established early on that we were never going to be a trad rockabilly band. We can do it, we just choose not to. It certainly has put up some roadblocks for us with the big Euro festivals and such. They seem to like the nostalgia part of it all. I like the punk part of it all. I kinda think that's where it comes from. Its ok. We do what we do. Like it? good! don't? That's OK too.

Have you ever considered covering any well known rock songs for a Cousin Harley approach? I think Lemmy would have loved the idea of rockabilly-ish covers of Motorhead songs, but me, I'd love to hear a Cousin Harley arrangement of Iron Maiden...


I haven't but now I want to!!! "Murders in the Rue Morgue" as a fast train beat!!!!


Is there a new album, and will it be available at the Rickshaw?

Since we put out Let's Go! during the pandemic we are still touring that for now. Its definitely got a bit more "rock" than some of our previous recordings but there is another CD brewing in my head right now. I keep listening to Jesse play banjo though. I hope it doesn't affect me!

Any word yet on a Cousin Harley full-length vinyl LP?


Well if I put in the order now I should have hardcopies by 2025! We did do a vinyl release with a company in Europe about a year ago I have a few of those kicking around.

Just a silly question, but do you have any favourite movies about music or musicians? Documentaries, fictional features, whatever you like...?

Sweet and Low Down. the fictious story of Emmett Ray, the worlds second best guitar player (next to Django Reinhardt).  Sean Penn is truly brilliant as Emmett and Howard Alden performs all the guitar music in the film. I'm not normally a Woody Allen fan but this movie really stuck with me. I find it truly hilarious and the music is fantastic!

For more information on the September 17th Rickshaw gig (with support TBA), see here

No comments: