Monday, February 28, 2022

New live music venue (but out in Surrey): Central City Taphouse

...So I wrote a post on Facebook about the venuelessness of David M. - key songwriter of NO FUN, the Beatles of Surrey - since the Heritage Grill burned down and the Princeton declined to have him play there on Mondays anymore. I have seen M. at the Princeton actually more times that I ever saw him at the Railway - a venue NO FUN had long association with - see here, for instance - but I didn't make much noise about the decision, despite knowing that M. WANTED us to make noise about it, because the truth is, I didn't really ever enjoy the hassle of GETTING to the Princeton. I want M. to have an outlet for his music, and I want to see him play - I missed that there was no Christmas show this year - but the Heritage Grill (RIP) was a much more convenient venue for me. So I asked Facebook, in the spirit of helping M. (and myself), did anyone have any good ideas where David could play next?

Why yes, said Dave Bowes - the impresario of the Bowie Ball, a musician and promoter and podcaster about town and formerly the man behind Iron Road Studios. He wrote me a message to announce, "I'm launching a new venue, perfect for David M. and anyone else you know in the troubadour mold: Central City Taphouse and Kitchen" - located right on the Skytrain line out in Surrey. Musicians, Dave tells me, will be paid "200 bucks for two sets plus food and drink." It looks like the place has been running as a restaurant for awhile, but the start of Bowes' involvement booking shows there apparently began with the esteemed Orchard Pinkish playing a show (I missed it). There's no cover, the food is good (sez Dave - I haven't tried it yet) and there will be concerts on weekends through March and April. 

Sure enough, there are links on Facebook - you can follow Dave under the name "Dirk Bentley" - to several events already: Stephen Hamm Theremin Man, Joseph Blood, and Dave Dykhuizen. I do not know if David M. will take David B. up on is suggestion, but meantime, Bowes has encouraged me to spread the word. So here I go, spreading the word! 

Y'all a troubadour, by any stretch? Hit Dirk Bentley up on Messenger. I don't really monitor Dave closely but only good things have come for ME out of knowing him - including a New Model Army concert at the Rickshaw awhile back, which Dave and I conspired to make happen and promote. I'd like a new venue, and even if Surrey is a bit far away, it being near the Skytrain is a big plus. 

More to come, probably. I mean, I ain't even been there yet!

1 comment:

Allan MacInnis said...

David M. is playing the Central City Taphouse on March 12th. I cannot determine if I played a role in this or not.