Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The consolations of thrift store records...

It's been a hard week, so I've been listening to comforting and cheerful music, which has taken a weird turn. I found a bunch of Oscar Brand sea shanty recordings, including some ribald ones, at a thrift store, for example, discovered some cool old Ventures albums at the store where I work, and have been spinning some jazz from the 1920's and 30's (Johnny Dodds, anyone? I snagged a Time-Life 3LP set at a Value Village...). I won't mention the Elvis gospel stuff that I've been spinning (with the Jordanaires! Hell yeah!) Today's find is the real eyebrow-raiser. I kind of, um, love the Andrews Sisters, and I stumbled across a STILL SEALED 1957 record of theirs at a Salvation Army this morning. It's not worth anything - people are selling it for $9.99 on eBay - but that's a good thing, because I can be the man to split the seal and spin it for the first time... which I just did. (Quite the feeling to take on that responsibility). The first track is playing on the turntable at the store where I'm working as I type this... the album is eleven years older than I am and in much, much better shape... what a treat!

No comments: