Saturday, February 23, 2013

Rangda to the Rickshaw!

Check this out - it's slow, delicate, restrained, and yet deeply stoned: Rangda's "Silver Nile," off their 2012 album Formerly Extinct. The band features guitarist Sir Richard Bishop, formerly of the unclassifiable Sun City Girls; Ben Chasny of Six Organs of Admittance; and free jazz drummer Chris Corsano - who has done some blistering stuff, with Paul Flaherty, say, though my favourite of his recordings thus far is Immolation/ Immersion, featuring Wally Shoup and Nels Cline (not, alas, on Youtube). Chasny previously worked with Corsano on School of the Flower, an album I do not know but like what I've heard of. By the way, Rangda, Wikipedia tells me, is the name of the "demon queen of the Leyaks of Bali." Another cool show that I will miss... here's hoping that others are freer than I...

No comments: